The Intelligent Automation Centre is part of a unique pipeline from discovery through to industrial deployment. Work initiated within an academic environment can be developed through an established innovation pathway (i.e. the Manufacturing Technology Centre) to reach major industrial companies with the funding and commitment to exploit the results. This continuous pipeline is central to the success and value of the Centre and unique within the UK.
The Intelligent Automation Centre is 400 square metres of dedicated lab space at Loughborough University along with access to state of the art research facilities. Academics and researchers work with industrial partners, sharing their complementary expertise to develop truly multidisciplinary research. Resources include several large industrial robot arms, machine vision and motion sensing equipment.
- Fully understand human skill in advanced manufacturing and use this information to provide human-automation and intelligent automation solutions
- Produce exemplars of research solutions to proof of concept demonstrator stage
- Broaden the take up of automation throughout UK industry, especially within SMEs
- Maintain high levels of quality whilst increasing production volume at reduced costs
- Take a national role, connecting expertise with need in this growing specialist area
- Inspire young people to consider future careers in highly skilled manufacturing roles
- Promote the further development of intelligent automation for UK industry